As a malayalee......... my love to have Sea Food is so immense....Eventhough in my place where i stay in Bangalore , to get fresh sea food is a bit difficult... But once we get it, ... its like heaven for my family.....So this time my Husband got me fresh Squid.... As i have already posted a squid recipe.....which is less spicy.. i thought this time why not a spicy one.. So here it is........... a "Country Style Koonthal Roast..."... from my kitchen....
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Serves - 4
For the Marinade
- Squid/Kanava/Koonthal/Calamari- 1/2 Kg
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Red Chilly powder - 1 (1/2) Tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/2 Tsp
- Curry Leaves - 1 Sprig
- Salt - as needed
- Coconut Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Coconut Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard Seeds - 1 Tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/4 Tsp
- Onion slices - 2
- Green Chilly - 1
- Tomato(small) - 2
- Ginger finely chopped- 1" piece
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Red Chilly powder - 2 Tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Garlic Crushed - 3
- Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
- Clean and cut the squid into rings and marinate it with above listed ingredients 'For Marinade', for 1/2 hour. (Click here, see how to clean and cut the Squid/Kanava/Koonthal).
- In a pan,heat oil and fry the squid/koonthal/kanava, on low flame for 5-8 minutes.(Make sure that you do not over fry it as the meat will become rubbery.) Transfer it to plate and keep aside.
- In the same oil , add 1 Tbsp of oil, splutter mustard seeds, add fennel seeds. When it leaves its aroma, add the slices onions, green chilly and ginger to it.
- Saute till the onions , turn into light brown in color.
- Add turmeric, red chilly and pepper powder. Saute for 2 minutes and add the roughly chopped tomato into it.Let it cook and the gravy turns mushy. Add salt and curry leaves. Saute well.
- Now lower the heat and add the fried squid/koonthal to it and mix well. Add 1/4 cup of water , mix well and close the lid and cook for 10 minutes on a medium flame.
- Open the lid , add crushed garlic ,off the flame, drizzle some coconut oil, Close the lid for about 10 minutes or until served, for the flavor to set inside itself.
- Delicious squid/kanava/koonthal masala fry is ready to be served.
- Serve with hot steamed rice, vellayappam,spongy dosa.....enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!
- This is a very spicy dish, as we Keralaties prefer sea foods that way....., If it is too hot for you can can either cut down the amount of red chilly powder or instead use 1 Tsp of red chilly and 1/2 Tsp of kashmiri red chilly powders.
- Use of coconut oil is the best... as it will enhance the authentic tastes... or else use any oil of your choice.
Linking this to Side Dish Mela of Cooking 4 All Seasons