- Puttu powder - 1 1/2 cup ( I used eastern puttu powder)
- Grated Coconut - 1 Cup
- Chicken - 150 gms
- Onion - 2 Medium
- Green Chilly chopped - 2
- Ginger paste - 1/2 Tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 Tsp
- Red Chilly powder - 1 1/2 Tsp
- Pepper powder - 1 1/2 Tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 Tbsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/4 Tsp
- Garam Masala - !/4 Tsp
- Curry Leaves - 2 Sprigs
- Coriander Leaves Chopped - 3 Tbsp
- Oil - 2 Tbsp
- Mix puttu powder with salt. Add water little by little till the powder becomes moist.Make sure that lumps are not formed. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
For the Masala
- Boil and cook chicken with water, pepper powder 1/2 Tsp and salt. Drain all the water. Cool it down and chop in a food processor. Keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil, add onion , saute till it turns pink, add ginger paste, green chilly, curry leaves.Saute for 2 minutes, till its raw smells goes.
- Add turmeric, pepper, red chilly,coriander powders and salt. Mix the masala well for 2-3 minutes.(Lower the flame).
- Now add the chopped chicken to the masala, sprinkle little water, saute for 5 minutes.
- When chicken is well coated with the masalas, add garam masala and fennel seeds. Mix well. Off the flame and add coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Filling the puttu kutti (puttu mould/maker).
- Heat 1/4th of the puttu pot with water. Switch on the flame and boil the water in it.
- Now into the puttu kutti , add 1 Tbsp of grated coconut as the very first layer,second layer should be 5 Tbsp of puttu mix, third layer with 2 Tbsp chicken masala. Repeat the process, till the mould is filled and the last layer with grated coconut.
- Cover the mould with its lid. Place the puttu kutti on to the puttu pot.Cook it on medium flame for around 10 minutes.
- When steam comes(Heavily) from the top of the mould , keep for 2 minutes. Remove it from the pot and keep it for 2-3 minutes in the mould itself and then remove it.(If it is removed quickly the puttu might break)
- Serve hot with tea/coffee. Or of your choice.
- Make sure that lumps are not formed while making puttu mix.
- To know that puttu powder is ready, take a handful of the mix, hold it tight and open your hand, it should stand without breaking.
- Make sure the puttu kutti/mould is not tightly packed. If yes, the puttu mix will not get cooked. and wont be soft.